Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Musical Trip

For my musical trip I took a journey to Mongolia to explore the style of music known as Khoomei, or Mongolian throat singing. Khoomei is an enthralling technique of singing that combines usually a single instrument, most commonly the Morin Khuur (horse head fiddle), with multiple vocal pitches created by one singer. The harmonics created by the lone singer are hypnotizing, creating a trance like atmosphere. 

This music is used for many things such as luring animals, summoning spirits, and even as lullabies for their babies. Khoomei is a bridge, connecting the people, animals, land, and spirits of the environment. 

Below are two examples of Khoomei music. 

Chinggis khaanii Magtaal - Batzorig Vaanchig

Su-Ren Jiabu


I believe this music fits perfect with the sprawling landscape of Mongolia, the harmonics mimicking natural elements as they roll across valleys and echo off of jagged cliff walls. It really makes me feel the deep sense of connection that the people of Mongolia have with the land that provides them with life. 



References

Battushig Bars, "The Khuumii: Mongolian Throat Singing as An Extraordinary Vocal Technique", https://www.mongolianz.com/post/2020/04/25/the-khuumii-mongolian-throat-singing-as-an-extraordinary-vocal-technique/, posted April 25, 2020. 


Encyclopedia Britannica, "Throat-singing", https://www.britannica.com/art/gymel, accessed on March 20, 2024. 


3 comments:

  1. I noticed from the title that the first song is about Genghis Khan -- and it sounds like it! I thought it was interesting how the first string on the morin khuur is kind of used like a drone, only changing the note on the second string most of the time (and only changing the first when he's not singing). The morin khuur is actually related to a lot of 2-string bowed instruments throughout East and Central Asia (it came up several times when I did a post on the origins of the Chinese erhu a few weeks ago), and in most of the examples of other versions of the instrument, both strings seemed to be used equally for melody rather than a drone -- maybe in part because the way the bow is attached in versions like the erhu or haegeum makes playing both strings at once very difficult. I think I might appreciate the second song a bit more because it has more range (mixing in higher vocals as well as throat singing), but both definitely have a distinctive sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Mongolian throat singing is dear to my heart... I find the art fascinating and beautiful. I also found it interesting, that the first string on the morin khuur is used as more of a constant. I found it interesting to learn about the intent behind throat singing. For luring animals, spirits and the land, the stunning sound compliments the beautiful complexity of the sounds. I like what you say, that "the harmonics mimicking natural elements as they roll across valleys and echo off of jagged cliff walls." I also find this to exemplify the connection Mongolian peoples have to the land. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first time listening to this style of music and I can see why you did you project on it! Such a unique sound. Very different from the popular genres. The way you described the music to fit the landscape and nature is a great way to think of it. I feel a lot of ancient styles of music had so much to do with the land they lived on and what it meant or provided for them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Music and the Fictive Dream

  Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues     Hello everyone and welcome to my blog. Today I would like to talk about the song Hard Time Killin...